Welcome to ChemPaths!
What is the difference between ChemPaths Online Resources and a textbook?
ChemPaths has been developed as a project of the ChemEd Digital Library to bring chemistry to life using interactive moleculeA set of atoms joined by covalent bonds and having no net charge. viewers, animations and videos. It is based on the textbook Chemistry by John W. Moore, William G. Davies, and Ronald W. Collins, but this text has been modernized, and then extended at your instructor's discretion. Click on "All ChemPaths" at the top of any page to view the complete set of pathways, or start with one of our featured pathways in the showcase above.
- The textbook comes with online portions through the publisher where you can access multimedia resources, whereas ChemPaths incorporates these features right into the text itself.
- Just as you will notice that your daily readings skip around from chapter to chapter in the paper textbook, the same would be true of the online text which has chapters in different orders. A pathway, however, lets you read all the various portion of the textbook assigned in the order designed to coincide with the lecture materials - without skipping around.
- All material is covered adequately by both the online text as well as a paper textbook - however you may find that some explanations in one version seem superior to the other. For instance - the online textbook has videos and interactive rotatable molecules. These multimedia advantages are helpful in describing 3D orbitals and/or reactions.
- Both have worked out examples.
- Both have tables of useful values. Textbooks go through periodic revisions as values are updated by scientists. These revisions are done faster through the ChemPaths website than in a textbook. These resources are also found by using the drop-down menu called "Quick Resources" on any page within ChemPaths.
Please: Feel free to comment on any page! Ask questions about the content of the page, answer each other's questions, or suggest a modification to make an explanation more clear!